1.22.2005

three weeks later, i reflect (part 1)

Tomorrow, Matt and I will have been married for 3 weeks. I suppose it is about time that I jotted down thoughts about my Perfect Wedding Day. For posterity. And for sentimentality. And for memory. And because it is fun to think about.

Getting Ready
I didn't have any trouble falling asleep the night before. I didn't get to bed until midnight, after a fantastic reherasal dinner, but by the time Matt left my house to go back to his hotel, I was so sleepy I could barely say goodnight to him. I woke up early on the 2nd, around 7, and figured that there was no point in trying to force myself to get back to sleep. So I got up, showered, and bummed around, watching morning tv. Then my mom and I did a very unromantic grocery store run to get pantyhose and nail polish...but it was strangely fun -- a last-minute bonding sort of experience.

I don't remember much else about the morning...I remember being bored, mostly, wanting the time to pass faster before I had to start getting ready. I packed my Florida suitcase, packed up the winter clothes that I was sending back to New Jersey with Matt's parents, watched some Friends' episodes on DVD with my sisters, all while feeling more restless than anxious. By the time Nicole came over to do my hair, I was actually feeling sort of sleepy because of my early morning. I barely ate any breakfast while I sat, getting my hairl curled and pinned and sprayed, so I think the nerves were there, but only the ones that attack appetities!

My restlessness continued at church. While my parents made multiple trips back and forth, with carloads of dresses and people and things, Steph did my makeup, and then I sat around doing nothing while she and Beth did their hair and while my nieces colored. I helped my bridesmaids get ready, took some pictures of the girls, watched them get ready.....

....and then FINALLY I got to climb into my dress. It was just as you see on tv: my mom and sisters all holding my dress open, parallel to the ground, so I could dive into it without messing up my hair, my makeup, or the dress itself.

From that moment on, the day lost its slow, plodding personality and spiraled into action. I found Matt at the top of the stairs as I moved toward the sanctuary for pictures. It was SO good to see him. We found our flowers (my bouquet was gorgeous...), and started the barrage of pictures. I've never smiled so much in my life! You don't realize how many posed pictures get taken at weddings until you are the center of all of them. Craaaaaaaaaaaaaazy.

Other memorable things...the nieces were the cutest things EVER in their dresses, playing and looking all angelic as they amused themselves between pictures...Matt's pod arrived as loud and excitable as ever, which was comfortable and familiar, but strange as I greeted them all at the side entrance of my church, dress and bouquet and everything...Dad got to instruct the groomsmen in the fine art of cufflink usage...my parents look darn good all formal!...

And then I was relegated downstairs, to wait until my grand entrance....

No comments:

Post a Comment