10.01.2006

It's midterm time ALREADY?

Yikes. It's already Sunday. This is bad. I needed to be super-productive this weekend...

I love my worship class. I love my professor. I sit in that class and sometimes have a hard time figuring out why I'm not doing my Ph.D so that I could teach something like that. However, Dr. Bangert assigned 375 pages of reading over the last two weeks, which I have to write a short paper on for Tuesday and on which I have to take a test on Thursday. In the midst of that, I have to read a short (100 page) book for my preaching class and write a reflection paper on it for Wednesday. And then for next Tuesday, I have to write a book review for my Church and Society class, and because of all of these other assignments, I haven't even picked out the book that I'm going to read for it.

And on top of that all, I'm (yay!) preaching in church on October 14/15, so at some point next week I also have to write a brilliant sermon. :)

I really do love being a student.

Midterm time really snuck up on me, though. However, to be fair, my professors all scheduled these assignments prior to reading week, which means that my reward for two weeks of stress is a FREE WEEK that I don't have to devote to homework and midterm preparation. I'm considering a trip up to St. Olaf/Minneapolis area for part of that week - I'm excited to hang out with Bethany! All I have to do is survive these next two weeks.

3 comments:

  1. You don't really read everything they assign do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not usually! The stakes are higher when you have to write paper and are being tested on the material, but we'll see how much motivation and concentration I have. Probably not enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember (really I can, it wasn't that long ago, I graduated from Seminary in '02) that I usually only read as much as was necessary to get a paper written. We didn't write many tests at WLS. I have shelves full of books I bought and was supposed to read in seminary. I actually intended (still do?) to read them after seminary. Once in a while I look at the spine of a book on the shelf and think, "that's supposed to be a good book, I really should read it" but usually don't. Then you get nice catalogues from Augsburg Fortress or another publisher, or you attend a Synod Assembly where they set up a store and you try to hold yourself back but you buy more books that you intend to eventually read. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete