1.15.2007

File under "things I don't understand"

Apparently I am not knowledgeable about the science of snow accumulation. It has been snowing outside since 10am -- 7 hours of snowfall thus far -- and yet there has been absurdly little accumulation. The forecast for the day says "70% chance of snow, less than one inch accumulation." I don't understand. Here's how I see it: if it is cold enough to be snowing all day, then is it not cold enough to accumulate? Or, put another way, if it is cold enough to establish a half-inch base layer of snow on the ground, then wouldn't subsequent snowfall stick to that initial layer of snow, thus continuing to accumulate? It makes no sense to me. A full day of snowfall should easily grant me a meager winter wonderland outside, right?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think someone who failed physics is capable of answering this question. Our weather anomaly is having gale force winds every evening at bedtime! I guess it's normal for Scotland, but we were surprised by it.

    ReplyDelete