11.24.2008

Monday, Monday

All the signs point to the fact that today is going to be a long day. Not a bad day, just a long one.

For starters, I had a fabulous weekend. My parents were in the city for the weekend - my dad had a convention to attend. I met up with them after work on Friday, and we spent the evening wandering around the city (in the cold!) and attending a fancy-schmancy reception way up on the 80th floor of a building overlooking Millennium Park. On Saturday, my sister drove into the city and we met my mom downtown for lunch and shopping while my dad did convention-stuff. Later in the evening, Matt came downtown also, and we all went with my dad to TWO different fancy-schmancy receptions, one at the new Trump tower and one at the Cultural Center. Afterwards, we went back to my parents' hotel (did I mention that the convention hotel was the Palmer House?) and ate dessert there.

Yesterday, Matt and I did our usual driving-to-the-suburbs for church routine, with one minor exception. Usually we bring Emme along (she loves playing with my parents' cats!). But yesterday, she did NOT want to be stuffed into her carrier. Instead, she hid under the bed, just barely out of reach. My one best attempt to reach under and grab her resulted in me completely wrenching my shoulder. I have no idea what I did to it, but it is seriously sore!

We went to church, stayed at church for lunch and the fall congregational meeting, and then headed back to the house, where Matt did homework and I napped, football playing in the background, all the way until the Egans came over! Kristin and the girls and THE BOY! :) I love being an aunt-all-over-again. I missed the girls so much - Scotland is ever so far away! - and I was so excited to see and hold Cameron for the first time. :) :) :) We watched Beauty and the Beast and most of Monsters, Inc., at pizza and had ice cream and cupcakes for dessert. It was wonderful.

So as far as the weekend goes, I can't say I went to bed last night totally thrilled about getting up for work in the morning.

I woke up to a dreary day that can't decide if it wants to rain or snow. Yuck. I also woke up to a shoulder that is still sore and some unidentifiable allergies that are making my nose all stuffy. When we left the apartment to go to the bus, it was so sloppy and slippery outside that I decided to go to the close bus stop and take the slow bus downtown, sending Matt off to the far bus stop and the fast bus downtown. Here at the office thus far, it is dark and sleepy, and the coffee machine is working in slow motion. I keep staring at the list of tasks for the day, and all of them seem overwhelming for silly reasons. I'm supposed to print out a stack of letters for my boss to sign, but I have no idea where the letterhead is, so I've completely stalled on that project. I'm supposed to be doing some copy-editing, but I have a meeting at 10:00 to talk about the content I'll be proofreading, so I figure it's not worth starting the project until afterwards. I have some information to collect from the department heads, but aren't sure if I need to talk to all of them or just most of them.

I cannot believe that it's STILL not quite 9am. It feels like I've been here for at least an hour.
I'm hoping that the caffeine from my coffee kicks in soon...because otherwise, today is going to crawl by.

No comments:

Post a Comment