1.27.2009

Caving In.

I held out for as long as I could. But alas, it's time for me to join in this whole "25 things" meme. But I refuse to tag anyone, so there! (I have to exercise at least a little bit of rebellion, here!)

1. I've come to love my morning commute. I like the little world I get to create for myself on the bus every morning, whether I listen to music or read or knit. There are many days that I actually wish for slow traffic on Lake Shore Drive so that I can stay in that little world for longer before I have to be productive at work.

2. I live a rather plain life these days...and I'm more than okay with that. I think that people underestimate the joy of being just a bit boring.

3. I love black coffee, and I'd much rather drink too-strong or even burnt coffee than watery, weak coffee. However, these days, I'm enamored with putting just a dab of half-and-half in my coffee.

4. I have at least 10 friends and acquaintances who are pregnant right now, and at least another 10 who have had babies over the last year. It's ridiculous.

5. I'm making this list in order to put off calling a hotel sales rep to fix some details for an upcoming conference that I'm helping to plan. I hate hate hate making phone calls to strangers. I even hate calling to order pizza.

6. I'm a bit obsessed with knitting Scandinavian-motif hats these days, and am vaguely considering making them to sell.

7. The 100-Calorie Pack Oreo Thin Crisps are REALLY good. I eat them not because of the calorie content, but because they are tasty.

8. I've been waiting and working toward being a pastor for 5+ years, but now that I'm close to actually being one, I'm terrified.

9. I consider arrogance and the inability to listen to be two of the most unattractive qualities a person could possess.

10. I always make grandiose plans to clean the apartment, cook good food, and enjoy a smattering of my favorite hobbies (knitting, piano playing, reading, video games) on Saturdays. Instead, I end up sleeping later than I intend to and then sitting around watching the Food Network all afternoon.

11. I waste a lot of time on the internet, but I try (often unsuccessfully) to waste it on meaningful things like thoughtful/edifying blogs, news sources, and sites that encourage my creativity.

12. I love Guitar Hero.

13. Even though lots of other people do it, I can't bring myself to go running in my neighborhood when it's dark, no matter how well-lit the street. It still seems dangerous to me.

14. I blame my husband for the fact that I am antsy for the start of the baseball season. I never would have guessed that I'd actually get excited for any sport, especially baseball.

15. I love citrus scents. I hate vanilla-scented things.

16. I am in serious need of a haircut.

17. I get flustered when I have too many good options. For instance, if I go grocery shopping and come home with a wide array of interesting food, I get overwhelmed thinking about what to cook/eat first.

18. I have two songs stuck in my head right now: the third movement of Leonard Bernstein's "Chichester Psalms," and "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand. The combination is admittedly strange.

19. I get anxious when I think too hard about the frailty of human life.

20. I can wax existential at the drop of a hat. And I can turn any circumstance into a deep analogy about the human existence. It makes for good sermons and blog posts, but gets tiresome on an everyday basis.

21. I am learning to accept the fact that I can be a total flake sometimes.

22. Matt and I can get into passionate debates about the TV show The West Wing. We debate about where we think the plot is going (we own all 7 seasons, are working our way through them for the first time, and are currently just past halfway through season 6). We debate about the quality of the writing (pre- and post-Sorkin). We debate about the characters' motivations and expectations. We debate the show in light of Aaron Sorkin's other work. I think that sometimes we forget that it's just a TV show and not real life....

23. These days, I do nearly all of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's, because I can stop there on my way home from work. I love Trader Joe's.

24. I get cranky when my friends don't post new and interesting content on facebook as often as I'd like, even though I myself rarely post new and interesting content.

25. In general, I consider myself to be happier than most people. I'm not sure if this means that I'm an optimist or just naive.

1 comment:

  1. Superblog! (it's like Superman) It was nice to read a 25 things about someone i know where I actually didn't know all the stuff. Yay Melissa!

    ReplyDelete