6.16.2009

Food on the Brain

Despite the fact that I was craving something as terrible for me as McDonald's french fries earlier today, the rising temperatures and the feel of summer are indeed having an effect on me. I'm itching to start running again (life has been so busy and it's been difficult to get into any sort of routine), and I have grand intentions to hit up the Lisle French Market every week to buy veggies (we'll see if those grand intentions amount to anything!).

I would love to stock my fridge/pantry nearly exclusively with the following things for summer:

Israeli couscous, snap peas, radishes, asparagus, bell peppers (orange and yellow!), avocado, butter lettuce, fennel bulbs, local sweet corn, home-grown tomatoes (I have a plant, I'm just waiting - impatiently - for it to start producing!), goat cheese (the soft, spreadable kind), fresh mint, fresh basil, honey-sesame cashews (from Trader Joe's), fresh strawberries, and limes for fresh limeade.

There are a few things that I realize as I look at this list:
1. I need to start a mini-herb garden. Seriously. Growing basil and mint can't be all that hard. Maybe I'd even grow some flat-leaf parsley or cilantro or sage if I were feeling particularly inspired!

1a. I never thought I would want to be a gardener (sorry, Dad!)...but now I'm starting to rethink that notion...

2. There's a part of me that could go vegetarian without much difficulty.

3. My favorite vegetables are some of Matt's least favorite vegetables. This is a problem.

4. It'd be so nice if this crazy-healthy craving lasted. But I know me; I'll crave hamburgers or tuna casserole or pizza or similarly non-vegetable things before I know it!

5. I need to get in the habit of making excellent veggie sandwiches to bring with me to work for lunch: whole wheat bread (the nuttier the better, preferably toasted!), cream cheese, cucumber, radish, tomato, avocado, sprouts

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a big vegetable guy and my gut is evidence of the many burgers I eat.

    But we do have a vegetable garden. We just don't eat from it. We take the veggies to the food bank. In fact, the newspaper did a story on us today which you can find here (http://wellandtribune.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1618853).

    ReplyDelete