11.02.2010

Election Day

I'm so glad that Election Day is (nearly) over. I'm so tired of alarmist, cruel, vindictive political ads. I'm tired of watching everyone's inner cynic float to the surface. I decided that I'd be a good citizen and vote today, only to find out that I unsuccessfully transferred my voter registration out to the suburbs when we moved here from the city over a year and a half ago. So I am sorry to say that I couldn't vote.  But I did pay attention to what other people had to say about voting and elections and politics today.

Here are a few links and thoughts from around the web that had an impact on me today:

"If we want qualified and capable [people] for both civil and spiritual leadership, we must spare no effort, time, and expense in teaching and educating our children to serve God and mankind." –Martin Luther

Today's post on my friend's blog "The Private Intellectual" made the astute observation, "In politics, demographics is destiny."

Today's Stillspeaking Daily Devotional, "Beware of false prophets" offers us the following challenge: "So while we study the candidates to try to figure out who is real and reliable, let’s remember to be real and reliable ourselves."

One friend on facebook "hopes there will be an item on her ballot today that will allow her to vote for an end to ridiculous, negative, petty, demeaning, mudslinging political campaigns. Seriously, people, they wouldn't allow that crap in grade school student council elections, why do you think that's it's ok to do as adults???! Rant over, go vote."

Another friend on facebook offers some perspective: "Despite everything I disagree with about how negatively this election was run, and all the unlimited shady financial contributions, I am glad it was money and not violence, or threats of torture, death, or imprisonment being used. I'm also glad that even if my preferred candidates don't win, I know the fairly-generated polling results will be honored."

And last but not least, in case you were just dying to make a mid-term mix tape, NPR has some suggestions for you: Wait Wait Don't Tell Me's Midterms Mix

No comments:

Post a Comment