9.03.2008

I wasn't going to do this...

...but after listening to a couple RNC speeches tonight, I just had to post this.

I have come to realize that I am more firmly attached to my political persuasions than I had thought, but I have tried so hard this election to give everyone a fair shot. But tonight, I listened to Rudy Giuliani talk more about war, terrorism, and 9-11 than about any other issues. And I listened to the first 15 minutes of Sarah Palin's address, where she unapologetically tossed off sarcastic quip after sarcastic quip about democrats, Obama, and the media (though after the first 15 minutes, she has actually now started speaking about politics and sounds like an informed politician...much better). But I have to say, I'm tired of the sarcasm and the jabs and the misconception that the main purpose of a president is to be commander-in-chief, as if there were nothing more to this country than the wars it fights.

So, tired of all of the negativity I've observed in the last hour, and apologizing for being so unabashedly pro-Obama (since I'm not usually one to be terribly political), I need a little bit of flat-out bleeding-heart, idealistic, peace-hope-love, inspirational, energizing talk:


Obama DNC Speech via YouTube.

Maybe sometime soon I'll post my own thoughts on why inspiration and idealism are valid and valuable qualities in politics, and why I believe that it's as important to get people motivated as it is to get your policies adopted. But that's a post for another time.

For tonight, I apologize for being so partisan right now, but I also stand by my frustration with political strategies that prey on fear and violence and hubris, no matter what party affiliation.

I'll be glad when this election is over. I just don't have the stomach for politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment