3.27.2007

Orbitz and Expedia, I expect you to come through for me!

I have serious wanderlust right now.

Inspired by our friend Lauren's trek through South America for the past 3-4 months, I decided that I need to travel. And I need to travel somewhere new, memorable, free-form, exploratory...Matt and I aren't quite adventuresome enough to do South America. But we'd both love to run around Europe for a while. We've even (just for fun) tried to see if we'd be able to go for 3 weeks this summer, but it's not looking likely. We'd love to hop a plane to some European destination and then wander around for a few weeks - has anyone out there done this? I'd love to hear about it! We don't really know how to do it, so any advice would be wonderful. (Not that we're planning on being able to do it this summer, but who knows.)

I'm so hyped up on world travel right now that I'd even settle for a one-destination trip - Athens, Tokyo, Rome, London - but it's so expensive.

Any world travelers out there who want to share ideas, advice, or encouragement? Feed my wanderlust!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:15 PM

    If money's tight, how about a cross-country road trip, camping at national or state parks? There's a lot to see around here, too (though I totally understand the foreign travel thing).

    It's really expensive to fly to Europe in the summer, but once you're there you can save some money by staying at hostels, picnicking, etc. Amsterdam is a good place and not at all overwhelming to travel in. Rick Steves publishes a good book about the ins and outs of European travel, Europe through the Back Door. It basically teaches you how to travel without being the "ugly American."

    And Tokyo is notoriously expensive... I'd cross that off your list if you're on a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous is right - Europe is not the place to go in the summer if you're looking for a cheaper deal. I think I've been told that you want to try to go October - March if you're wanting to travel to Europe on a budget.

    Since you're up by Canada (or, at least in the general vicinity), have you thought about going somewhere up there? I have heard recently that Montreal is a great place to explore and have an adventure. I cannot comment, as I've only been to Victoria, BC (and that only for a day or two). But I think going to Canada would be lovely, probably particularly in the summer!

    Wherever you go or whatever you do, I say do it! Go out and explore and travel! It's one of my more favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete